Sophisticated colors, striking patterns, and great textured rugs can instantly transfer your floor. We carry rugs from top-of-line companies, which means with hundreds of designs to choose from, you’ll find your favorites at Mr. Diggs. Rugs pull a room together and get more wear than any piece in your home, so knowing what you’re getting is important. Here’s some rug 101:
Know your constructions
We summed up five popular weaves:
Hand Knotted: The most labor intensive rug making process. Specialized weavers make one of three knots – Turkish, Persian, or Tibetan. These rugs are built to be heirlooms. What we love about it: intricate highs and lows are hand-carved
Hand-Tufted: Individual tufts of yarn are hand-punched into pre-made latex backing fabric. Hand-tufted rugs are made in a variety of designs, colors, and materials. What we love about it: the latex backing gives tufted rugs their strength
Flatweave: Not as thick as other rug constructions and do not have a raised pile. Rug pads are a must-have to improve the lifespan of flatweaves. What we love about it: perfect for layering and seasonal decorating
Hand-hooked: Created in the same way as hand-tufted – the difference is the looped pile. What we love about it: small-looped rugs are highly durable, available at entry-level price, and great for high traffic areas
Machine-made: Made on powerlooms typically with synthetic fibers but sometimes with wool. What we love about it: available in many complex designs
Size does matter
Tips of the trade to help you choose the right size rug
- Measure before you start and consider any constraints, such as door opening.
- Bigger is usually better. When in doubt, go bigger, a rug helps bring a room together.
- The 18-inch rule: leave around 18 inches of bare floor around a rug to get the right proportions.
Do you really need a rug pad?
Yes! — you really need a rug pad. Here’s why:
- Cushioning – makes the rug feel more comfortable
- Protection – keeps the floor or carpet underneath safe from scratches and dye transfer
- Longevity – extends the life of your rug by preventing fibers from wear and tear
- Safety – holds the rug in place
- Cleanliness – prevents mold, mildew, and bad odors and bacteria buildup
sproutzdesign.com jaipurliving.com domino.com omahamagazine.com